Employer: Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Job Type: Part Time
Country: United States
Industry(s): Childcare & Social Services
About the Role:
Job Code: 35-2012
Salary: $15.02 - $23.27
Status: Part-time, Non-exempt
Location: Akwesasne Group Home
Department: SSD, Akwesasne Group Home
Reports to: Case Supervisor
SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Case Supervisor, the Cook is responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment, as well as providing nutritionally balanced meals to clients on a daily basis. The Cook will perform a range of duties that will maintain the home and ensure nutrition.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepare a weekly menu that reflects balanced healthy meals and meets all nutritional requirements.
- Preparation of lunch, dinner, and snacks according to the menu.
- Meet with the Quality Control Committee regularly to meet and devise infection control policies.
- Grocery shopping as needed.
- Prepare special Holiday meals for residents and their families as well as refreshments and snacks for all Service Plan Meetings.
- Daily cleaning and sanitation of the kitchen, including the freezers, refrigerators, and pantry. Health, safety, and infection control standards must be met.
This is to include checking for outdated or old items and rotating stock, daily sanitization of the counters, doing the dishes, cleaning the stove, sweeping and mopping daily. Trash should be removed daily and trashcans in the kitchen area are to be disinfected weekly and other cleaning duties as assigned.
- Laundering the kitchen linens weekly, including dishcloths, dishtowels, aprons, and oven mitts.
- Assist in developing a list of items that need to be purchased or ordered.
- Put away food when it is delivered, rotating the stock.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers clean, organized. Defrost freezers once a month or as needed.
- The Cook shall be responsible for role modeling appropriate behaviors to all clients and demonstrate good character as well as teach residents to cook as part of the program’s Independent Living curriculum.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- An education, training, and/or 1 year experience in the food preparation field.
- 1 year experience working with youth an asset but not required.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Some computer skills are necessary.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to pass a drug screening.
- Successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
- Native preference applies in filling this position; those not entitled to native preference will receive consideration without discrimination.
OTHER SKILLS and/or ABILITIES: To have the ability to deal with and respond appropriately with stressful situations and troubled adolescents. Be aware and sensitive to the needs of clients and their families. Be able to work closely and communicate professionally within a large staff. Interact professionally with various agencies.
Required to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment when reasonable cause to suspect that a child is an abused or maltreated child where the parent or guardian, custodian, or other person legally responsible for such child, information come before you, facts, condition, or circumstance which if correct, work render the child an abused or maltreated child,. (SSL 415) Mandated Reporters in New York State – certain professionals are required by law to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment to the New York State Central Registry the law also assigns civil and criminal liability to those professionals who do not comply with their mandated reporter responsibilities.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to express ideas and use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have an maintain a valid Driver's License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances and pass a criminal background check prior to employment being confirmed.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, and supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses). Applicants that are eligible for native preference must include Tribal Identification Card, Status Card or letter to be eligible for Native Preference. All submissions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as a PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
All positions require the successful candidate to pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes. Depending on the position there maybe multiple background checks.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used for Emergency Hire individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
Effective July 3, 2023, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe no longer requires the COVID-19 Vaccination for any positions within the organization, to include Health Services.