Employer: Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
About the Role:
Job Code: 43-6011 Salary Level:
Exempt: Non-Exempt Location: 447 Frogtown Road
Department: Office of Economic Development (OED) Reports To: OED Director
The Program Support Officer (PSO) will manage, maintain and enhance certain business support programs, services and events for the Akwesasne Business Community. The PSO will work directly with the Akwesasne Business Community to coordinate training and technical assistance to support new and expanding businesses. The PSO will ensure that the goals and objectives of the OED are accomplished within prescribed timeframes and according to funding parameters by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Manage, fully implement and grow assigned OED programs, services and events i.e., Akwesasne Business Tradeshow, Local Business Sponsorship Program, SUNY Canton SBDC Business Advisor Services, Aftercare Assistance, Business Summits, Monthly Business feature for SRMT newsletter etc.;
- Manage, fully implement and grow the OED Annual Training and Events Program, as it would be evaluated annually with the Director.
- Perform initial intake of clients and direct to appropriate OED staff as needed; walk-ins, phone calls, emails, appointments etc.;
- Provide monthly report to the OED Director of all client activity related to assigned areas i.e. walk-ins, phone calls, emails and appointments;
- Maintain electronic and manual database of all information related to OED program areas assigned to the PSO for use by all staff i.e. application forms, publications, process and procedures, data etc. and retrieve information as requested;
- Respond to inquiries from community and other stakeholders in regards to OED programs, services and events and forward to appropriate staff as needed;
- Identify short and long term goals, set deadlines and create a plan of action as assigned;
- Promote the internal flow of communication and information;
- Complete the production of new and annual OED publications for the community i.e. Akwesasne Business Directory, Business Resource Guide, Monthly Business Feature in SRMT newsletter, Doing Business with the SRMT etc.;
- Educate clients on how to do business with the SRMT i.e. registering a SRMT DBA, becoming a vendor, bidding on RFP’s etc. and develop related informational handouts;
- Work directly and maintain regular communication with all internal and external stakeholders needed in order to complete tasks i.e. SUNY Canton SBDC Business Advisor, Chambers of Commerce, SRMT Grant Development Specialist to complete grant applications and to stay abreast of grant opportunities for OED and SRMT in relation to community business development;
- Promote awareness of OED programs, services and events offered;
- Attend meetings, participate on special committees, task groups and boards in relation to programs, services and events managed i.e. Akwesasne Workshop Committee, Akwesasne International Job Fair Committee, Chambers of Commerce etc.;
- Maintain database and provide information to OED, SRMT and community members on internal and external business resources available i.e. trainings, grants, lending institutions, consultants, other support agencies, etc.;
- Stay abreast of new trends, innovations and opportunities in the field of local business development;
- Works with SUNY Canton Small Business Advisor to provide technical support and expert assistance to clients i.e. business plans, financial projections, marketing, etc.;
- Seek, apply, and submit proposals for alternative and/or additional funding to assist the OED in community business development;
- Manage expenditures, budgets, revenue, etc. in relation to assigned projects, programs, and services;
- Assist in the preparation of management of contracts and work with consultants as assigned;
- Develops Scope of Work/confirms project terms of reference as needed;
- Assist in the management of OED grants and reporting requirements in relation to assigned projects, programs and services;
- Seek expert assistance from the Director and SRMT staff as needed;
- Share relevant information obtained with colleagues that can assist with their assigned duties;
- Perform basic cross-functional duties when needed in order to maintain operational efficiency of the OED;
- Identify opportunities and implement ways to increase operational efficiently, growth, and programming changes which would enhance service levels of the OED according to standards established by the SRMT;
- Exhibit a friendly, helpful and courteous manner when interacting with community members and fellow employees;
- Comply with all policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor responsibilities with this position.
Individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactory and with professional integrity;
A valid motor vehicle license and willingness to use personal vehicle in the course of employment;
Native preference applies in filling this position. Applicants not entitled to native preference will receive consideration without discrimination based on age, sex, disability or national origin;
The successful candidate must pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment confirmation;
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Business Administration or a related field OR Associates degree with two years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other Skills and Abilities: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. ADP training is an asset but not required. Computer testing in the applicable skills may be a requirement during the interview process. Must be able to meet the public as a representative of the Tribe, maintaining high ethical, honest and moral standards; Knowledge of the Mohawk Language would be an asset; Knowledge of SRMT programs and policies would be an asset.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be at least 18 years of age, have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean drivers abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.