Employer: Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
Job Type: Full Time
Country: United States
About the Role:
Job Code: 31-1122 Salary: $15.02 - $21.28
Status: Full & Part-time, Per Diem, or FT Floater, Non-exempt Location: Family Support, IRAs, or SAP
Department: CFS - Family Support Program Reports To: Waiver Manager, Day Program,
IRA Team Supervisor, or SAP Supervisor
SUMMARY: Under the direction of either the Day Program, IRA Team One or Team Two Supervisor, or SAP Supervisor, the Direct Support Professional is responsible for assisting adults and children with developmental disabilities complete activities of daily living at the person’s home or in a daytime non- residential facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include teaching and assisting consumers with housekeeping skills (making beds, laundry, dishwashing), meal planning, and preparation. Supervise activities at the Day Program, Residence, or SAP facilities or in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- At all times, serve as an advocate for the consumer with whom you work.
- At all times, serves as an active and integral member of a multi-disciplinary team with a complete focus to meet program needs and enhance the quality of services provided to the individuals we serve.
- Provide direct care and assistance to consumers with developmental disabilities and their families. Work hours may include weekdays, evenings, and weekends as designated by the needs of the individual and as established by the program schedule.
- Effectively utilize written and oral communication to ensure the completion of all documentation and forms, including progress notes, ISP Data, and attendance logs. Work cooperatively with individuals, family members, supervisors, and Care Managers to constructively resolve matters that may arise.
- Assist with other duties necessary within the programs, such as dishwashing, van cleaning, cooking, shopping, collecting receipts, and participating in gatherings and parties.
- Assist supervisor and Care Managers with the development and implementation of consumer’s Life Plan Meetings. Participate in consumer’s Life Plan meetings as required.
- Report accidents, incidents, or program concerns in a timely manner to the supervisor and others as appropriate. Complete incident reports.
- Complete and maintain 40-hour AMAP certification if requested or required by the supervisor.
- Perform health care tasks, such as monitoring vital signs and medication, under the direction of the registered nurse.
- Assist individuals with personal care, such as ambulation and personal hygiene.
- Teach and assist individuals with housekeeping duties such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes and dishes, and running errands.
- Assist individuals and families in planning, budgeting, shopping, and preparing nutritious meals.
- Advise individuals regarding food stamps and money management.
- Provide information and refer individuals to Care Managers for medical, financial, legal, educational, or other assistance.
- Oversee day-to-day group activities of residents in Residential Habilitation, Day Habilitation, or Respite Programs.
- Direct Support Professional staff are required to remain on shift until relieved by another staff or supervisor. All DSPs are subject to Mandated Overtime to any open shift at any IRA, Day Hab, or
- SAP per the program’s Mandated Overtime Guidelines.
- Other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: There are no supervisor requirements for this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or GED. Experience and training in developmental disabilities or a related field are desirable but not mandatory. The employee is responsible for obtaining and maintaining the required documents for land travel between the U.S. and Canada.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES: Good oral and written communication is recommended, as well as minimal computer knowledge. We will provide any training required.
This position mandates employees to report to or remain at work in the event of an emergency, crisis situation, or staff shortage until relieved by their immediate supervisor.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Possession of a valid Driver's License in accordance with Fleet Policy.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances and pass a criminal background check prior to employment being confirmed.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, and supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses). Applicants that are eligible for native preference must include Tribal Identification Card, Status Card or letter to be eligible for Native Preference. All submissions can be emailed to email@example.com or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as a PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
All positions require the successful candidate to pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes. Depending on the position there maybe multiple background checks.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used for Emergency Hire individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
Effective July 3, 2023, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe no longer requires the COVID-19 Vaccination for any positions within the organization, to include Health Services.